At All Saints Babbacombe C of E Primary, we intend for children to experience a high-quality mathematics education which equips rich range of mathematical skills which allows them to use maths purposefully in the world beyond their time at school.
During their time here, we aim for children to become fluent and confident in understanding a mathematical concept before moving on to the next in order to build the foundations of their understanding.
We believe that the key element to mathematical thinking is the ability to think critically and communicate their understanding through reasoning.
We aim to:
● develop mathematical competency and skills and understanding across key concepts
● develop fluent mathematicians who are confident and able to apply their mathematical knowledge to a variety of problems
● develop pupils’ ability to reason about mathematical concepts and make connections within the mathematics programme of study, the whole school curriculum and between disciplines and the wider world
● develop independent problem solvers who take risks in their learning and challenge themselves
● foster an enjoyment of mathematics and create critical thinkers
At All Saints Babbacombe curriculum planning starts in the Early Years.
In EYFS and KS1 (Year 1 and Year 2) we teach fluency and number sense using the NCETM Mastering Number programme. Below you will find a yearly overview including a termly breakdown of what is taught in each year group:
Below you will find our whole school Maths Curriculum progression document. This outlines the progression of mathematical knowledge and skills in each of the areas of Maths:
Below you will find our curriculum maps for maths for each year group. These maps give an overview of the sequence of units across the academic year:
Teachers plan and deliver Maths sessions using a Teaching for Mastery document developed to support the implementation of our curriculum: